As they defeat enemies, Leaders can level up, and gain more abilities.
Rulers and Warlords are built by the players using these rules. In a standard game the Ruler gets 10 character points and each Warlord gets 5. There are three different paths, in order to take abilities from a path you must take the root ability listed as a prerequisite. There are also advanced paths which unlock advanced abilities. Unless otherwise specified abilities cannot be taken more than once and abilities identical to other rules anywhere in the game do not stack.
Abilities are listed as such: Ability name (cost, prerequisites): Description.
Basic – No Prerequisites
- Scavenger (1): This unit can perform the scavenge action which generates 1d3 resources during phase 8 this turn.
- Forager (1): This unit gathers 1 resource every turn.
- Astronomer (1): This unit can perform the Stargaze ability which generates 1d6 astral gems during phase 8 this turn.
- Starstruck (1): This unit gathers 1 astral gem every turn.
- Undead (1): This unit is treated as Undead, in addition to its normal type.
- Sweep Aside the Refuse (1): This unit has the Prey: Undead ability, and confers it on any army that it is stacked with.
- Bounty Hunter (1): When this unit defeats an enemy unit in combat, it generates 1d6 resources. These resources are deposited in a stronghold located in the current Megahex, or optionally, create a caravan with the amount of resources generated on the Leader’s hex.
Leadership (2): Unlocks the leadership abilities. Any army that starts stacked with this Leader does not require upkeep this turn.
- Brutality (1, Leadership): When stacked with an army that army receives +2 to melee attack rolls.
- Ambush (1, Leadership): When stacked with an army that army receives +2 to ranged attack rolls, and can opt to set a condition to trigger it’s orders.
- Tactics (2, Leadership): When stacked with an army that army receives +2 to defense rolls.
- Mounts (2, Leadership): When stacked with an army that army counts as cavalry in addition to its base type, receives +2 to attack rolls if they moved one or more spaces this turn, and +1 to move. If stacked with cavalry the attack bonus does not stack, but the movement bonus still applies. A leader with the Mounts ability gains +1 Move.
- Legion (2, Leadership): When stacked with an army that army gains 10 HP. When stacked with an army it immediately gains these 10 HP. Should the leader or army unstack, the army immediately loses 10 HP. Armies reduced to 0 HP will be destroyed.
- Flexible Strategies (1, Leadership): Any army stacked with this Leader gains a +3 Ranged attack with a range of 3 hexes. This attack does not benefit from any Prey bonuses.
Royalty (2, Leadership): Unlocks advanced leadership abilities. If a Warlord has this trait, if the Ruler is destroyed, the side does not lose immediately. Instead, both the Ruler and all Warlords with this trait must be destroyed. If your Ruler selects this trait, s/he may designate a Stronghold that s/he currently occupies as the Capital. Capitals have +1 Attack/Defense and generate an additional supply per turn. A Ruler may change the capital any number of times.
- Monster Hunter (1, Royalty): When stacked with an army, that army gains +4 to attack when engaging a Monstrous Leader.
- Royal Guard (2, Royalty): When stacked with an army that army gains 10 HP and +2 to defense rolls. This stacks with Legion and Tactics, and functions like Legion for when the stack ends.
- Discipline (2, Royalty): Any army stacked with this Leader recovers 3 HP/turn passively.
- Militia (2, Royalty): All strongholds gain +1 to attack and defense rolls as long as this unit is alive. This stacks if multiple Leaders have this ability.
- Divine Right (4, Royalty): Any Army or Warlord defeated in melee combat by this unit or an army this unit is stacked with is converted to your side and respawns with 10 HP in an adjacent hex during phase 15.
Monstrousness (2): Unlocks the monstrousness abilities. This unit has the following monstrous stats instead of the base character stats: +1 attack, +2 defense, 2 move, 25HP, Regen 1.
- Strength (1, Monstrousness): This unit receives +2 to melee attack rolls.
- Hide (1, Monstrousness): This unit receives +2 to defense rolls.
- Stride (1, Monstrousness): This unit receives +1 movement.
- Regeneration (2, Monstrousness): This unit regains 9 HP instead of 3 HP with the recuperate action, and 3 HP every turn it does not take the recuperate action.
- Wings (2, Monstrousness): This unit gains Fly 4.
- Kingmount (1, Monstrousness): When stacked with an army this unit confers it’s Movement Types, and Regeneration if applicable, to that army granting additional movement, fly, and/or increased HP regeneration.
Immensity (2, Monstrousness): Unlocks advanced monstrousness abilities. This unit has the following immense stats instead of base character stats or monstrous stats: +2 attack, +2 defense, 3 move, 30HP, Regen 2.
- Firebreathing (3, Immensity): This unit receives a ranged +6 ranged attack with a range of up to 2 hexes away. This attack can still be used when stacked with an army conferring a +6 bonuses to existing ranged attacks. This does not stack with the Leader’s base attack bonus.
- Powerful (1, Immensity): This unit receives +2 to melee attack rolls.
- Indomitable (1, Immensity): This unit receives +1 to defense rolls.
- Rampage (2, Immensity): Immediately recover HP after a successful combat.
Legendary (4, Immensity): This unit has the following stats instead of base character stats, monstrous stats, or immense stats: +3 attack, +3 defense, 4 move, Fly 4, 35 HP, Regen 2. You must describe the legendary form of your ruler, be it an ancient dragon or a giant unicorn.
- Juggernaut (2, Legendary): +15 to HP.
Magic (2): Unlocks the magic abilities. Mages can scribe scrolls of spells that they know for +2 Astral Gems over the casting cost. These scrolls can be cast by any mage, regardless of whether or not they know the spell in question, without paying the Astral Gem fee. These scrolls can be traded to other players via Caravan, but are universally available to your mages, regardless of their location.
- Pluck the Firmament (1, Magic): This spell lets the mage gather 1d6 astral gems in phase 8. Mages with Astronomer may choose to gather 4 gems instead of 1d6. This spell costs 0 astral gems to cast.
- Divination (1, Magic): This spell reveals all information about a single hex and all units on that hex to the caster. This information will be given in reply to the orders when the turn is resolved. This includes attack and defense values, current and total HP, contents of caravans and status of rust & rot, and the abilities and levels of Rulers and Warlords. This spell costs 1 astral gem to cast.
- Flare (1, Magic): This spell conjures a minor ball of fire that the caster can hurl long distances. It allows a +2 ranged attack at a range of 5 and costs 2 astral gems to cast.
- Fireball (2, Magic): This spell makes a +5 ranged attack against all units in a hex up to 3 hexes away. When stacked with an army with a ranged attack this can instead give +6 to that attack. The ambush ability applies to fireball attacks and stacks with fireball bonuses. This spell costs 2 astral gems to cast. If cast while standing on a Stronghold or Capital, Fireball instead makes a +7 ranged attack against all units in a hex up to 4 hexes away.
- Lightning (2, Magic): This spell makes a +0 ranged attack against an army at infinite range. This spell cannot target Rulers, Warlords, or Strongholds directly. If an army is destroyed this way a stacked commander is not destroyed, and instead appears on the following turn at the nearest friendly stronghold or the nearest available space to it. This spell costs 2 astral gems to cast. If cast while standing on a Stronghold or Capital, Lightning can instead make a +2 ranged attack at infinite range, but the caster is revealed to the victim.
- Healing (2, Magic): This spell restores 3d6 HP to a unit within range 3. A unit cannot go over max HP in this fashion. If more than once unit occupies the hex, the caster must choose which to target. If that unit is targeted by an offensive ability that deals damage at the same time Healing is cast, then the unit only dies if Healing does not bring the unit above zero HP. This spell costs 3 astral gems to cast. If cast while standing on a Stronghold or Capital, the caster may spend an additional 3 astral gems to heal a target completely.
- Shadowstep (2, Magic): This spell moves the caster and any army they are stacked with up to 4 hexes in Phase 7. The travel happens instantaneously.
- Scry (2, Magic): This spell reveals HP, Level, and Caravan contents in a megahex.
- Wild Growth (2, Magic): This spell changes a plains hex into a forest hex. If the hex is occupied, the occupants are shunted according to the will of the caster.
- Heroism (2, Magic): This spell empowers an army or leader, momentarily granting it superior speed and power. This spell supercedes Compulsion.
- Justify the Earth and Sky (3, Magic): This spell renders a hex, and all adjacent hexes impassible to Undead. This spell can be sustained.
Necromancy (2, Magic): This ability allows the caster to raise a new Zombie army in an adjacent space provided the caster is standing on a stronghold or grave. If there are no free adjacent spaces this spell fails. This spell costs 4 astral gems to cast. A Necromancer with this spell grants Undead +1 Attack and +1 Defense when stacked with it.
- Cannibalism (1, Necromancy): This ability allows an Undead unit to consumes a corpse located on the same hex. The corpse is destroyed and the undead unit is healed to maximum. This spell costs 2 astral gems, and has a range of 10, but does not require an order to cast.
- Go For A Walk, Boys (2, Necromancy): This ability grants Undead the ability to move through Water hexes as if they were land. While underwater, an undead is treated as invisible.
- Decrypt(2, Necromancy): This spell renders an undead unit immune to the effects of Sweep Aside the Refuse for one turn and gives it a variety of small bonuses. This spell costs 3 astral gems to cast, and has a range of 8. A necromancer can sustain this spell by spending 2 astral gems per turn.
- Revivification (3, Necromancy): This spell consumes a corpse located within 2 hexes of the caster, returning it to life as an Undead version of itself. This spell costs 6 astral gems to cast.
Sorcery (2, Magic): Unlocks advanced magic abilities. A Sorcerer grants +2 Attack when stacked with a Stronghold.
- Counterspell (2, Sorcery): This spell allows the caster to block another Leader’s spell. It can be cast in one of two ways.
Either the spell can target another Leader and will block any spell he or she casts this turn.
The spell can target a specific spell. If that spell is cast this turn by any other caster it will be blocked, giving preference to spells targeting your kingdom first, and allied kingdoms second. This can trigger an emergency communique If that spell is cast but not targeting your kingdom or an allied kingdom or if multiple copies of the spell are cast this turn.
This spell costs 2 astral gems to cast, regardless if it successfully counters a spell. Successfully counterspelling a spell has a 25% chance to award 1 XP.
- Gate (3, Sorcery): This spell creates a portal to another hex near an Obelisk on the map. This portal allows for two-way travel, and moving through the portal counts as one hex of movement. The caster is automatically sucked through the portal. This spell costs 5 astral gems to cast.
- Spelljack (5, Sorcery): This spell allows the caster to steal another spell as it is cast. Like counterspell this spell can target a Leader or a specific spell. Spelljack succeeds if the targeted Leader casts a spell this turn, or if the targeted spell is cast by anyone this turn. A jacked spell is blocked as per counterspell. If spelljack is successful a scroll of that that spell is immediately created in the location of the Sorcerer that cast Spelljack. If multiple copies of a spell are cast that turn only one is spelljacked; and it is selected at random (giving preference to spells targeting your Kingdom first, and allied kingdoms second). This spell costs 5 astral gems to cast, regardless if it successfully counters a spell. Successfully Spelljacking a spell has a 25% chance to award 1 XP.
- Steal Time (3, Sorcery): This spell severely reduces the movement speed of a unit, and in some cases, prevents movement all together. When cast from a Stronghold, it can prevent an enemy unit from acting entirely. This spell costs 5 astral gems to cast.
- Compulsion (4, Sorcery): This spell allows you to modify the orders of an unled army. It has no effect on armies led by a Leader of their same color.
- Borne Aloft (3, Sorcery): This Leader can enchant an army to grant it the ability to fly at a speed of 4. In addition, this Leader gains a permanent Fly speed of 4.
- Mirrormask (3, Sorcery): This spell creates an phantasmal double of target army. This illusion appears to all other players as the real thing, and is indistinguishable from the original. The phantasm deals only half damage in combat, and vanishes if the original unit is killed.
- Ghostwalk (3, Sorcery): This spell renders an army invisible to other players. It can be revealed by a Scry or Divination spell.
When a Leader is created, it must have a name and an accompanying 200px by 200px portrait submitted. Leaders need not be people.